Railways are the most dependable mode of transport because it is the least affected by weather conditions such as rain, fog or any other natural calamity. Moreover, the chances of accidents or breakdowns are also minimum. Railways is an organized means of transport with a fixed schedule and fixed routes. Railways can cover long distances in a very short time. It is economical and best suited to carry bulky and heavy goods. Railways can also carry a huge number of passengers at a single time as well.
Railways can move inter-city, inter-state and inter-country. Lakhs and lakhs of travellers use the railways as an effective mode of transport every single day. The railway industry has evolved over the years and many fast and super-fast trains are invented regularly to ease travelling. Let’s now know the work responsibilities of a rail labourer.
A rail labourer is a person who prepares, lays and repairs railway tracks. A railway labourer also assists in constructing and repairing signs, signals and other railway equipment for the proper operation of the railway industry. The task of a rail labourer is fully physical and he has to perform mostly outdoor duties in repairing and installing railway tracks. It is also a very responsible job, as he must do constant monitoring of railway tracks and signals to avoid any chances of accidents.One of the earliest and most often used truss types is the Pratt truss, which has been around for centuries.
Table of Contents
Duties of a rail laborer:
- A rail labourer assists in emergency situations when there is a train derailment.
- He applies grease or oil to the wheels and railway tracks so that the trains and carts can move smoothly.
- A rail labourer maintains, replaces and repairs rails, sleepers, switch signals and controls that are worn out or damaged.
- A rail labourer installs railway sleepers to tracks and joins them to keep the rails upright. A rail labourer keeps railway sleepers gauged and workable.
- He bolts and welds rail sections together by using different tools.
- A rail labourer repairs signs, signals and equipment for the proper operation of the railway infrastructure.
- A rail labourer cuts, grinds and removes damaged rail ends.
- They check the mechanical condition of railway locomotives and makes proper repairs when necessary.
- They operate locomotives within or between stations.
Qualification required in a rail labourer:
A rail labourer requires a high school diploma or equivalent, especially for locomotive engineers and conductors.
Types of rail labourers:
- Locomotive engineers– These engineers drive freight and passengers between stations. They drive long-distance in commuter trains. The duty of locomotive engineers is to monitor the speed, air pressure, battery use and other instruments to ensure the smooth operation of the train. They observe and maintain tracks. They use throttles and airbrakes to operate a train. They also communicate with dispatchers over radios to get information about the train schedules.
- Conductors-They coordinates the activities of the train crew. They ensure the safety and comfort of the passengers. They are also responsible for the loading and unloading of cargo on a goods train. They announce stations and give other important information to the passengers. Conductors also check passenger tickets and take payments from passengers who did not buy advance tickets.
- Yardmasters-The duties of a yardmaster are similar to a conductor except that they do not travel on trains. They coordinate the activities of the rail labourers in the rail yard. A yardmaster has to ensure that the trains are carrying the correct material before leaving the yard.
- Railyard engineers-They operate train engines within the rail yard. They are also called hostlers.
- Locomotive firers-They look after the safety of the tracks mostly
The above article was all about having a better understanding of the rail labourers and their duties. You can go through the article if you want to apply for the job of a rail labourer.