What do you understand by hair transplant?
A hair transplant is a procedure in which a plastic or a dermatological surgeon transplant hair to your bald areas. The surgeon usually removes hair from the back of the head. Hair transplants are mainly done in the medical office under local anesthesia. Hence, it is a good option for hair harmony and you.
Hair loss is usually a genetic factor and most of the time pattern baldness is responsible. There are so many other factors also that cause hair loss. Have a look:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Any kind of medications
How many types of hair transplants are there?
There are two types of hair transplant procedures: slit grafts and micro-grafts.
Slit graft is a procedure in which 4 to 10 hairs are there in a single graft. Whereas micro grafts contain 1 to 2 hair per graft, depending on the coverage you need.
What are the things that take place during hair transplant surgery?
- First of all, the surgeon sterilizes the instruments that are needed during surgery. After that, he starts the surgery.
- He/she numbs the part from where the hair is to be taken. The surgeon numbs your head by giving local anesthesia.
- During the surgery, you can ask your doctor to make you fall asleep, by giving injections.
Two techniques are used for obtaining follicles for transplantation. Have a look below to know about them:
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation):
STEP 1: Firstly, the surgeon will use a scalpel to cut a strip of scalp skin. The strip is taken from the back of the head or other parts of the body. The incision done is several inches long around 6 to 10.
STEP 2: After that, the incised area is covered with stitches. Then, the surgeon separates the removed scalp portion in small sections using magnifying glasses and scalpel.
STEP 3: After the strip gets divided into sections, it is transplanted to the bald area of your head. After 2-3 months, these sections will achieve natural-looking hair growth.
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction): FUE is the type of surgery in which hair follicles are cut directly from the back of head thorough a hundred to thousand punch incisions.
STEP 1: Firstly, the surgeon will make tiny holes in the area where you are receiving a hair transplant. Tiny holes are done using a blade or needle.
STEP 2: During one treatment session, your surgeon will transplant hundreds and thousands of hairs.
STEP 3: After this, your scalp will be covered with bandages or gauze for a period of 5 to 7 days.
Hence, these above mentioned are the two types of hair transplant methods.
A hair transplant can take around four or more hours to be successful. And the stitches you get can be removed after 10 days of the surgery. You need around three to four sessions to acquire full head hair growth. Therefore, the sessions done are occurred after several months, just to allow each transplant to heal up fully.
Who might get benefited from hair transplant surgery?
Receiving a hair transplant can help you out in building up your self-confidence and appearance. Hair transplant is benefited in following mentioned cases:
- Men with pattern baldness.
- Anyone who lost their hair during a burn or any kind of scalp injury.
- Women who have thinning hair.
Now, we will discuss in which cases hair transplant isn’t a good option. Have a look below to know:
- People who do not have any donor hair sites. Donor hair sites are very much necessary for hair transplantation.
- People with keloid scars (thick, fibrous scars).
- People who lose their hair due to medications such as chemotherapy.
- Women who have a widespread pattern of hair loss all over the head.
What are the things that happen after a hair transplant?
After surgery your scalp may be sore, so you need some kind of medication. The medications needed are as follows:
- Pain medications.
- Antibiotics to reduce infection.
- Anti-inflammatory medications to keep swelling down.
- Many of the doctors prescribe minoxidil and finasteride to improve hair growth.
It is very normal for the transplanted hair to fall out in 2-3 weeks of the surgery. Therefore, this makes way for the new hair to grow. It will take up to 8-10 months for new hair to grow fully. Hence, people can return to work after several days of surgery. Giving yourself the perfect care will result in good hair harmony and you.
What are the complications that can occur after a hair transplant?
There are several complications that can occur after a hair transplant. These complications include:
- Bruising around eyes.
- Swelling of the scalp.
- Inflammation or infection of hair follicles, and is usually known as folliculitis.
- Unnatural-looking hair tufts.
- Itching or any kind of shock loss etc.
So, before deciding for surgery, it is very much important for you to consult the surgeon. Consulting the surgeon will help you in knowing about the expected outcome.