Myopia or nearsightedness or short-sightedness is the inability to see things clearly unless they are relatively close to our eyes. In myopia, you can see objects which are near to your eyes, but if the objects are far away, then they appear blurred. It is most commonly seen among children and adults. Myopia is the most common vision problem. A recent survey conducted shows that by 2050, half of the entire human population on the planet will have myopia. Myopia has been estimated to affect around 1.5 billion people around the globe. It is more common in adults than in children or old age group.
Well, you can control myopia, but before that, it is important to know about the symptoms of myopia:
- Objects far away from your eyes appear to be blurred
- Eye strains create a lot of headaches
- Difficulty in seeing the highway signs which are far
- Squinting- Squinting means when we try to close our one eye or both our eyes partially in order to see more clearly
- Children who have myopia often face problems reading blackboard at school
- Children who face myopia have to sit closer to the television or while watching movies
- Rubbing your eyes frequently is also a symptom of it
There Can Be Several Reasons For Myopia, Some Of Them Are:
- Myopia can be caused by heredity. If your parents are suffering from myopia, then you are more likely to have it too.
- A cornea which is too curved for the length of the eyeball can also develop myopia
- When eyes grow too long from front to back or when there is a lens inside the eye, which is too thick.
- Spending a lot of time indoors can also cause myopia
- Low physical activity can also cause nearsightedness.
- Long hours of working near the computer can also cause myopia
There Are Various Forms Of Myopia That Have Been Identified. These include:
- Simple Myopia- Simple myopia is less than 4.00 to 6.00 diopters
- Nocturnal Myopia– In this type of myopia, the objects are pushed out of the focus
- Pseudomyopia- The accommodating system brings in blur distant vision
- Instrument Myopia- While looking at the microscope, it causes over accommodation
- Induced Myopia- It is known to cause nuclear sclerosis, oxygen toxicity, an increase in glucose levels and others.
- Degenerative Myopia– It is caused by changes in the fundus, such as posterior staphyloma and others. This type of myopia only gets worse over the period of time.
- Index Myopia- Cataracts can cause index myopia.
- Form deprivation Myopia– When the eye is modified by artificial lenses or there is limited illumination and vision range can cause this type of myopia. However, this type of myopia can be cured in a shorter duration.
- Network-induced transient myopia- It is a short term myopic when the far point shifts immediately.
There Are Various Ways Of Myopia Control, These Include:
- The most common method for myopia control is wearing protective and corrected eyeglasses or contact lenses. You should be wearing contact lenses or eyeglasses throughout the time if you want to reduce it.
- Myopia control can also be done by engaging in more physical activities. Regular exercises are not only required to keep yourself fit but also to be free from any kind diseases
- Going for a regular checkup to an eye-specialist will help in myopia control
- Myopia control can also be done by conducting regular eye exams.
- Children can be fitted with bifocals, progressive lenses or gas permeable contact lenses
- Medication must be done to stay away from myopia
- Restricting screen time, some eye exercises and eating food that help in building eyesight will be helpful.
Myopia control is a big issue in the modern world. If it is not stopped at this age, then it can be disastrous for future generations. Always consult your family doctor before going for an eye specialist doctor. They can provide you with the name of the eye care specialist, which will be good for you.