Wire is a solo electrical conductor that when collected together and put in layers make a cable. Cables are used to transfer and supply currents to the electric points wherever any device is attached or appliance is used. Wire markers are a type of symbol that tells whether the wires used is part of the cable or not.
Electrical wire usually plays the role of transferring of electricity from a nearby source to different destinations that are nearby that source. This source is known as transformer. There are many types of wires that are available in the market. Some of the types are:
- Beached/ grounded wire: This wire is flexible in nature. These wires are commonly used in chargers of mobile phones.
- Solid: These wires are not flexible but rigid in nature. High water resistant thermoplastic wire is the most commonly used single conductor wire. These types of wires help in conducting better electricity and a uniform distribution.
- Cables that are multi -conductor: Multi conductor wires are opposite of single conductor wires. These wires unlike the single conductor wires are used to operate big appliances. These wires are placed/ fixed inside the walls of home. These wires help the people using heavy appliance like refrigerator, washing machine etc. These wires are non metallic wires and are covered inside a plastic case.
- Metal clad: These wires are generally more expensive because of the high quality material that is used. Theses wires contain a lot of aluminum content. These wires are usually used in the industries for running machines and supply of electricity. These wires provide protection from short circuiting and fire in the workplace.
Wiring is safe only when people take proper precautions. Some of the precautions that people need to keep in mind while using an electrical appliance is as follows:
- Heaters: Heaters should be placed at least 3 ft. away from any fire catching or flammable objects.
- Extension cords: When you’re using electrical cords or extension cord outsider your home just make a check whether the information regarding the use of the same outdoor is given or not. If it is not given you should not use it outside your home as these wires can get spoiled due to the weather conditions and temperature.
- Heating blankets: These blankets Act as a heater during winters. But the bottom line is it can be dangerous to use these blankets for the whole night. So you should make sure to turn off this blanket before you get to sleep. Also there is no need to use another blanket along with this blanket to avoid any exposure to fire or skin burn.
Many companies are into the electric wire manufacturing business in the country. One should always check for the quality and even conduct his/ her own survey by asking the shopkeeper and neighbors. One can also go and check on internet which is the most convenient way to check for the rating.
It is better to acquire knowledge!
It is always good to know which type of wire you need. Do you think you have the right length and the type? It is not too difficult to choose the right wires once you have all the basics in mind. After all, who does not want to get the best wiring installed in their house!
Not only are there diverse kinds of wiring, both indoor and outdoor wiring, but there are even underground wiring and particular types, such as heat resistant and corrosion-proof wiring. If it is not sufficient to distinguish the differences, there is even copper and aluminium wiring. Every stuff has its own distinct wire sizes and ampacity carrying abilities.
Though aluminium wiring used to get used in the past, yet, in the present times, the homes make use of copper wiring. Aluminium wiring mostly heated up under load, triggering it to turn out to be loose in the connections and at times even caused electrical fires. The connections already in homes could work forever untouched and not burdened, but it is better to go for electrical upgrade by replacing your wiring to copper.
Colouring of the wires
Wire colouring makes the wires do appear pretty, right? Well perhaps, but the real reason for the colours of wires is to recognize them for their envisioned uses. The green wire is always used for earthing in the past. The “hot” wires, feeding branch circuits, were generally green in colour. When you deal with NM wiring, the colours are mostly black and white for two conductors wiring. It is that of red, black and white for three conductors wiring. In most instances, black or black and red get used as hot wires for traveling or feed conductors. The white is mostly neutral, but not in all the instances. You know what, sometimes the third wire, being that of white wire, gets used as a “switch leg” or “hot’ in circuit.