Insomnia is a condition where a person cannot fall asleep or has problems sleeping. Insomnia is caused by several factors such as stress, depression, grief, worry or bipolar disorders. Regular doses of caffeine, nicotine and even long hours of working on the laptop can give rise to insomnia. Regular medications, sleep therapies and yoga help in completely giving rise to proper insomnia treatment in a slow but steady process. Insomnia is a painful condition where the person suffers from fatigue, irritability, headache, and a general in-activeness.
Table of Contents
What are the Causes of Insomnia:
The main cause of insomnia is stress especially in the present generation when people are just running from morning till night. They don’t even have time for insomnia treatment. Anger and worry also cause insomnia.
Another very common cause of insomnia is depression. People of all ages can suffer from depression because of various reasons. Depression doesn’t allow the mind to rest and as a result, leads to insomnia.
You must need to check what type of family history there has been in case of insomnia treatment. Antidepressants, high blood pressure medicines, and certain contraceptives can lead to insomnia.
A traumatic experience like the death of a loved one or a serious injury or surgery can lead to insomnia. The glimpses of the incident or the pain from the injury don’t allow the person to sleep.
Certain medicines hinder sleep. Consult your doctor if you feel that some medicine is hampering your sleep. Antidepressants, high blood pressure medicines, and certain contraceptives can lead to insomnia.
Sometimes underlying health issues might lead to insomnia. This kind of insomnia treatment lies in treating the underlying health issue. Allergies, acid, cancer, hyperthyroidism and pain causes difficulty in sleeping. In many cases, insomnia is caused by an improper sleeping environment. If the sleeping environment is not quiet and comfortable, a person may suffer from insomnia.
An unhealthy sleep pattern might cause insomnia. Sleep apnea and restless led syndrome lead to difficulty in sound sleep.
Symptoms of Insomnia:
- The most important symptom of insomnia is the inability to sleep at night.
- Even if the person falls asleep, he may wake up after some time.
- Inability to sleep through the night and waking up early in the morning.
- As a result of less sleep, a feeling of fatigue or sleepiness throughout the day, where you are liable to make mistakes.
- Less amount of sleep leads to irritation and anxiety.
Kinds of Insomnia Treatment:
The first step of insomnia treatment is stress control and lifestyle change. If you can identify that stress is the cause of your insomnia, try to heal the root cause of stress. Self-meditation is very helpful in treating stress and insomnia.
- The next treatment of insomnia is stimulus control therapy where the doctor will condition your mind to set a definite time of sleep and wake up.
- Breathing exercises before going to sleep are very helpful in treating insomnia and inducing sleep. Breathing exercises control the heartbeat and relax the muscles which induce sleep.
- Prescribed medicines like eszopiclone, zaleplon, and zolpidem help in treating insomnia.
- Elimination of alcohol and caffeine from your diet can be helpful in treating insomnia.
- Other exercises apart from breathing exercises help in insomnia treatment. Avoid exercising just before going to bed as it may make the mind more active.
The above article is a detailed study on insomnia, its causes, symptoms, and treatments. You can refer to the article to gain knowledge on insomnia. Changing a little bit about daily lifestyle habits and getting rid of heavy meals before you go to bed can help you to get rid of insomnia.